Request a proposal
Check out our newsletter
Check out our photo galleries
Meet our team

Diagnose, Evaluation & Inventory of Trees


Fill out our Request A Proposal for one of our Arborists to visit your urban forest and conduct a Diagnosis or Evaluation.

Diagnosing & Evaluating Tree Problems

Trees are a valuable part of our environment. They provide shelter and shade, help prevent erosion, and add beauty and monetary value to our property.  Unfortunately, many factors can cause trees to become unhealthy and lose their aesthetic value or die: environmental stresses, site problems, animal injury, infectious diseases, and insect infestations. In many cases, more than one factor may be involved.  A correct diagnosis of the problem is the important first step in trying to save an unhealthy tree. This publication contains guidelines for diagnosing tree problems. It will help you examine your tree systematically, collect important background information, and find expert assistance, if necessary.

 

Examine the Tree

Take a systematic approach when examining a tree for possible problems. Look at the entire tree (foliage, trunk, branches), not just areas that seem to show a problem. Consider root problems as a possible source of aboveground symptoms. Yellow leaves, for instance, might be caused by root injury or high soil pH. Also, keep in mind that different agents may produce similar symptoms.

 

Know your trees

Determine each tree species; trees have their own characteristic insect or disease problems.   Knowing the approximate age of the tree can be helpful.  Is this tree compatible to the native soil?

 

Gather other useful information

What kind of care is the tree receiving?  Look for evidence of injury to other surrounding plants.  What has the recent weather been like?  When did the symptoms first appear on the tree?  What portion of the tree is showing problems? 

Accurate diagnosis of a problem in a tree is much like the work of a detective solving a murder. Just as detectives take into account all possible evidence in solving a crime, all the evidence regarding the decline of a tree must be considered. Part of the reason for this is that up to 90% of tree problems are caused by environmental stress. That leaves 10% of problems directly due to insects and disease. Most insects and disease problems are the result of nature trying to cull out the weak and feeble trees. The weaknesses are the result of an environmental stress. Insects and disease are symptoms and not causes of tree decline. One can try and control a tree pest, but the causes of the tree's susceptibly to the pest should be addressed.

Tree Inventory

We offer complete tree inventory services.  Tree inventories are intended to provide the basic information on the plant population of a property in order to make informed management decisions. Inventories can supply information on plant quantities, location, condition, and size and maintenance requirements. Based on this information, sustainable management plans and rational budgets can be developed for the property‚Äôs care.

Artistic uses the latest technology that incorporates Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) to collect data, map location, and develop management plans. We customize inventories and plans to meet specific needs and goals. The inventory program allows you to manage changes in the tree population and record maintenance and planting activities.